To counter fake reviews, Amazon has introduced a program for product testers. As part of the “Amazon Vine” program, testers rate selected articles and then write a review; the product can almost always be kept afterwards. You can read all information about Amazon Vine here.
The Amazon Vine program provides product testers with free products that they can evaluate and then review on the online retailer’s platform. Customers often recognize the reviews of Vine members by the fact that the reviews are particularly detailed and extensive. They are designed to be rated either as “helpful” or “not helpful” by users and serve as a guide before making a purchase.
The authors of the reviews are not employees of Amazon, but selected customers who are in the “Amazon Vine“Club. In principle, it is therefore possible for every Amazon customer to receive free products and rate them online.
Amazon Vine: Invitation to join
You cannot register for Amazon’s “Vine” program on your own. Amazon customers are identified and invited according to an internal selection process. The invitation depends on your previous reviews that you have written on Amazon and whether and how many other customers have rated it as “helpful”.
If you would like to be invited by Amazon or have already been invited, the following is expected from your reviews:
- The review must be submitted within 30 days of receiving the product.
- Published reviews should serve as a helpful guide before making a purchase and should therefore be written as objectively as possible.
- The assessment can be positive, negative or neutral and should reflect your honest opinion.
- The more recent your review, the more likely it is that Amazon will notice you. The same applies to the number of your reviews; the more you have reviewed, the greater the chance of becoming a product tester. The exact number that you need for an invitation is not known.
- If you receive products, you don’t have to worry about further payment. Amazon will then inform you whether you ultimately have to send the product back.