A notebook that is as easy to use as a smartphone – that’s what many dream of. With a Chromebook, this dream comes true. We reveal what the new generation can do and why they could even replace the classic laptops in the future.
Chromebook: no computer like any other
Windows or macOS? This is usually the decisive question when buying a laptop. There is, however, a third option: Chrome OS. While the Google operating system initially tended to be a shadowy existence, the resulting device category is enjoying itself – the Chromebook – For some years now, both in the world of work and at home or in leisure time, growing popularity.
The reason for this lies not only in the significantly expanded range of functions since the Google Play Store has been integrated with all of its apps into Chrome OS. The embedded virus protection, the fluid, intuitive operation in smartphone style, the automatic updates and the battery life of up to twelve hours also speak for themselves Chromebook – No problem if the charging cable is left at home.
Another selling point is the excellent value for money: most Chromebooks are for less than 400 euros and thus much cheaper than comparable classic notebooks – even the very well-equipped top models are below the 1,000 euro mark. A wide range of Chromebooks from the leading manufacturers Acer, Asus, HP and Lenovo do you think …? Find at Saturn.
All Chromebook advantages at a glance
Simple, safe and fast: these three properties make the Chromebook an attractive alternative to Windows notebooks and MacBooks. Some models even replace the tablet, surfing and online shopping on the couch are much more convenient with a Chromebook. We summarize all the advantages again:
- The acquisition costs of a Chromebook are relatively low. For example, that’s what you get Lenovo S345 Chromebook with a 14-inch full HD display, A6 processor and 64 GB of storage space for just 219 euros.
- Google has made sure to make the operation particularly user-friendly. Chrome OS does not require any special knowledge. Google services such as maps, tables or calendars can be used directly. Countless other apps are available for download from the Google Play Store. How about, for example, Netflix or Instagram?
- Never press “Save” again! Data you are working on is automatically backed up to Google Drive every six seconds. Images, texts and the like cannot be lost. Incidentally, with Google Photos you can save any number of photos (up to 16 megapixels) and videos (up to 1080p / Full HD) free of charge.
- When the notebook is started, Chromebooks show an amazing performance and boot up completely within a few seconds – significantly faster than conventional notebooks. Not to mention models without an SSD.
- Also practical: unlike Windows, for example, updates to the Chromebook run completely unnoticed – it updates itself automatically in the background. A welcome relief to Windows start, where you have to wait a long time to be able to continue using the laptop.
- Viruses don’t stand a chance with Chromebooks. You don’t even have to install extra antivirus software. Google has structured the system and provided security precautions in such a way that viruses and malware cannot harm your computer – the “sandboxing” technology isolates every tab in the browser and separates important functions from one another.
Equipped for all tasks
Every Chromebook can easily handle classic office tasks and multimedia applications. As with conventional notebooks, there are also different model variants and hardware specifications for more or less computationally intensive tasks. As a result, the better equipped devices are even suitable for video editing, editing pictures and playing graphically demanding games from the Google Play Store.
Ideal for creative minds: thanks to pen support, handwritten notes and drawings can also be created on the Chromebooks with touchscreen. This is of course particularly practical with models with a completely foldable screen, such as this one HP Chromebook x360 for 379.99 euros or that Acer Chromebook Spin 514 for 399.99 euros offers.
Incidentally, the Spin series is available in different versions. There is also the 24 euros cheaper Acer Chromebook Spin 513 with 13.3 instead of 14 inch display and Qualcomm instead of AMD processor. Those who are satisfied with a 11.6-inch screen can get that for just 299 euros Acer Chromebook Spin 311. This in turn has a MediaTek processor.
Further Chromebook model recommendations at Saturn
YouTube Premium free
Enjoy videos and music from YouTube without commercial breaks – with a Chromebook you can do this for three months free of charge. Google is giving new subscribers YouTube Premium for this period. All you have to do is press the button on the Action page click. The offer is valid until October 26, 2021.
After the three free months, the subscription costs 11.99 euros per month, although it can be canceled at any time.