Regardless of whether Amazon Prime and Co .: Anyone who wants to use the countless series and film media libraries of the streaming services has to take out a paid subscription. What many do not know: A lot of streaming content is also offered free of charge on the Internet. We summarize the highlights for you.
There are many streaming services – but the common providers such as Netflix, Amazon Prime & Co. cost a lot of money in the long run. If you don’t watch every evening and don’t want to invest in various services, you don’t have to do without films and series on demand. One of the best places to go is the ARD media library and des ZDF, in which a lot of exciting series will start in the near future.
These series await you in the media library:
- Beforeigners (ARD – available until July 25, 2021) People from the past appear in the present and create parallel societies! Thousands of Stone Age peoples, Medieval Vikings and 19th century commoners put Norwegian society to the test.
- The Bank Hacker (ZDF – available until July 18, 2021) Because of his brilliant hacking skills, the student Jeremy lets himself be caught by a fraud ring. He is supposed to carry out a cyber attack on a bank and steal hundreds of millions of euros.
- The Pier (ARD – until July 22, 2021) Spanish drama series from the makers of “House of Money”: Alejandra is shaken by the suicide of her husband Oscar. She discovers that he led a double life with another woman for years and decides to approach the woman under a different identity.
- Hanna Svensson – Bloodbands Season 2 (ZDF – available until July 25, 2021) It’s been six months since investigator Hanna Svensson Davor Mimica, the boss of a powerful criminal syndicate, killed. Hanna’s son Christian, who worked undercover for the Mimicas, was exposed and is now on the run.
- The boat (ZDF – available until July 31, 2021) New interpretation of classic films: Internationally acclaimed series event based on motifs by Professor Lothar-Günther Buchheim about a submarine crew and the French resistance in World War II.
- Exit (ZDF – available until August 01, 2021) Sex, drugs and violence: The Norwegian drama series is about four investment bankers who are friends and who create a perfidious parallel world in order to escape their everyday lives.
- Spätzle angry (ARD – available until October 29, 2021) What to do if your own family launders money for the mafia? Luca Rossi would rather earn his money honestly and with excellent cuisine. Unfortunately, he’s the only one in the family.
- The Movies – The History of Hollywood (ARD – available from April 24 to October 24, 2021) “The Movies” is a chronicle of American cinema from the “Golden Age of Hollywood” to the present day and tells the stories behind the scenes of the dream factory.
- Twin (ARD – available until January 6, 2022) Drama series from Norway: “Game-of-Thrones” star Kristofer Hivju plays in a double role a man who slips into the life of his dead twin brother. The arctic surfer’s paradise of Lofoten serves as an impressive natural backdrop.
- Midsummer murder Season 7 (ZDF – available until March 6, 2022) Together with the local police, Nora Linde solves criminal cases in Sandhamn on the archipelago island of Sandön.
- Shadowworlds Berlin (ARD – available until April 15, 2022) We all love Berlin – its unlimited freedom, its cosmopolitanism, its glittering world of party and consumption. But in the big city life, shadows flash up again and again: research on human traffickers, large Arab families and a drug trafficking ring.
- Germany (ARD – available until May 18, 2022) Comedian Phil Laude plays Frank Stimpel, 28 years old and the most German teacher in Germany. Correct, obsessed with rules, lactose intolerant – an unwavering “Alman”.
These films await you in the media library:
- Back for Good (ARD – until July 12, 2021) Reality TV star Angie has just come out of drug withdrawal. That was actually just a PR campaign with which she wanted to secure a place in the next jungle camp. But Angie has maneuvered herself out of bounds, her boyfriend and manager is gone, as is the apartment, and none of her so-called friends want to take her in. All that remains is to move back to the mother in her home country. Temporarily, of course, until the scene is restarted.
- The fog man (ZDF – available until July 22, 2021) The sudden disappearance of a young girl in a remote Italian mountain village is to be cleared up by a prominent investigator. But its methods are controversial.
- The uncanny ease of the revolution (ARD – available until July 28, 2021) The event film based on motifs from the bestseller of the same name by Peter Wensierski tells the beginnings of the Peaceful Revolution of 1989 based on the true story of a group of young people.
- Systemsprenger (ZDF – available until August 15, 2021) Regardless of whether it is a foster family, residential group or school, Benni is thrown out again immediately: too loud, wild and unpredictable. The nine year old is what is called a “system sprinkler” in the youth welfare office.
- Burning through the forest (ARD – until September 10, 2021) They are classic burnout candidates: workaholic Johann, teacher Silvia, intern Rosa, unemployed Alfred, pensioner Herbert and his wife Gudrun. But her therapy in the countryside is not going as planned.
- Petting statt Pershing (ARD – until September 29, 2021) FRG 1983: Ursula feels trapped in everyday provincial life. When she falls in love with her charismatic teacher Grimm, she questions the conservative structures. Unfortunately, Grimm is not that serious about her and she seeks revenge.
- In the Corona intensive care unit of the Charité – fight for every breath (ARD – available until March 15, 2022) In the Charité in Berlin, particularly dramatic Covid-19 cases are being treated: There has been a state of emergency for months. Insight into a microcosm that knows no time of day – determined by glaring light and beeping machines.
- Ku’damm 63 (ZDF – available until March 19, 2022) In the third season of the saga, Monika, Helga and Eva once again come up against the social limits that put their self-determined life to the test. But they have become more courageous …
- The promise (ZDF – available until April 18, 2022) The eleven-year-old Bendix lives with his depressed father. By chance he meets 16-year-old Jule, who says of herself that she is a psycho. By meeting her, Bendix learns to better understand his father’s illness. When Bendix is finally supposed to go to a foster family, he sees it as a betrayal of his father and a monstrous plan grows within him.
Free offer from the streaming service
Streaming services like Apple TV + have become a little more open lately and make some content available for free and without a subscription.
- Apple TV+: Apple is also making some episodes of its original series, such as Tehran, Tiny World, Ted Lasso, The Morning Show, Long Way Up, of its streaming service Apple TV + available free of charge to non-subscribers. The free offer can be called up with an Apple ID via the Apple TV + apps.
Please note that we can only reflect the current status of such free promotions and have no influence on the providers’ decisions to end them earlier if necessary. You should therefore always check whether the offer is still valid when downloading or streaming.
Documentaries for free
Those who dig deeper into the media libraries will find some exciting documentaries to stream for free:
- Among grizzlies: In the ZDF production 25 nature filmmakers and bear experts pitch their tents in the middle of the North American grizzly region to give the viewer a first-hand insight into the life of bears.
- Who owns the world?: The three-part documentary series by Terra-X can be downloaded from the ZDF media library stream for free and shows the history of possessions and wealth.
- 3Sat media library: About the 3Sat media library you can enjoy a variety of documentaries from the fields of culture, history, nature, travel and animals for free.
Subscribe to Disney + now